Patio/Salary: $60,000 – $120,000/year + Equity
Senior Backend Engineer (Tech Lead) - Fully Remote
Senior Backend Engineer (Tech Lead)
Fully Remote ↔️ Work from anywhere! 🌎
💲 Salary Range – $60K – $120K/year + Equity 💰
Do you have experience building a product that scaled from 10k+ users to millions? If so, this one is for you!
Patio is a US-based, remote-first startup providing a chatting platform in a safe and welcoming space. We’ve already grown x25 this year alone! Do you remember how your first day in college was? Did you search for any support? We make this easier by providing a social platform with millions of users in a safe and welcoming space.
Pull up a chair and join us at Patio — a remote-only company building out the future of communication and growing quickly. We help colleges and students connect with each other in a safe and welcoming environment, and we’ve raised $8M in 2021.
Our backend team is responsible for keeping the GraphQL API (powered by Hasura), PubSub systems, and AWS infrastructure up and running to ensure our users can find new friends, groups, and events every day. We are a team of builders and our work is heavily concentrated on quickly building out new features to bring new functionality to the platform. Some recent and current features include polls, converting our messaging platform to PubSub, and auto-moderation of picture uploads.
Patio is looking for a team lead to bring our backend codebase and infrastructure to the next level. Our backend is just starting many transitions — GCP API endpoints to a dedicated NodeJS API, a single GraphQL to a federated GraphQL API, automated full-stack test suites for our frontend teams, and much more — and we need help from the best. Join us if you would like to be an owner of our backend ecosystem, a catalyst in our developer velocity, and a major contributor to our existing and new services.
You will ✨
- Mentor other developers and grow the backend engineering team
- Build the foundational framework for new and existing systems (NodeJS backend, Hasura GraphQL API, AWS Infrastructure)
- Collaborate cross-company to plan and iterate on new features and offerings quickly
- Research, plan and spearhead new services as needed for scale, specific features, and observability/monitoring
- Debug production issues across multiple levels of the stack
- Ensure our systems and infrastructure are secure, reliable, and performant
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
You’d be a great fit if you ❤️
- Have 4+ years of industry experience at high-growth startups or companies
- Have 2+ years of industry experience using NodeJS
- Gained previous experience (as a member or team lead) of a highly efficient team
- Have a passion for GraphQL and the surrounding ecosystem
- Gained experience with IaC (we use Terraform to provision AWS)
- Enjoy taking ownership over everything you ship
- Got good conversational and written English
Bonus points if you 🏆
- Have commercial experience with Typescript
- Gained experience working in a remote/distributed team
- Used to own a 24/7 SaaS product
- Worked in a dynamic startup environment
- A fully remote position 🌎
- Competitive salary + Equity 💰
- Generous and flexible paid time off policy 🗓️
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing environment 🎯
- Work from home setup 💻
- 100% company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees (67% for dependents) 🧘🏽
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance 🌴
- Annual company retreat 😎
Click on the button below to take our 12min quiz to see if you can join the team 🚀
Read about our hiring process here. Still unsure about the fit and applying? Chat with us…